Qatar Building Company (QBC) is a Gold Sponsor of 2012 “Seeing is Believing (SiB)” Golf Tournament held by Standard Chartered Bank at the Doha Gulf Club
November 5, 2012
Key Facts on Blindness*:
*SOURCE: Standard Chartered website November 2012.
- There are 45 million blind people in the world.
- There are 314 million people who are seriously visually impaired.
- 80% of blindness is avoidable (preventable or treatable).
- A person goes blind every five seconds.
- A child goes blind every minute.
- 60% of children die within one year of going blind.
- 90% of avoidable blindness occurs in the developing world.
- Two thirds of the world’s blind are women – with serious implications for childcare.
- Without effective, major intervention, the number of blind people worldwide has been projected to increase to 76 million by 2020.